March 11, 2010

212 Catapult

Warning: Shameless Product Review

Ok, I really hadn't planned on doing product reviews, but this one really deserves it, because it is awesome. The product is called Catapult by 212 LLC. Disclamer: Two of the four partners were former business associates and clients of mine. Another was a former employee. I really can't be completely un-biased here, but this thing is still awesome.

Now let me underwhelm you. It is a media player. But, it is way more than a media player. It allows you to play all sorts of media, track who it gets sent to, who uses it, and in general get statistics on usage way beyond anything else out there that I have encountered. It also allows you to specify specific calls to action, and add supporting documents and links to related material. The bit-rate on whatever media you have added to it can also be adjusted.

All in all, it provides a very good media viewing experience, and can be tailored even to those with slower connections. The downside is that it doesn't help you make your videos or other media. You still have to have some talent with that. I will be testing it out in the next few weeks or months as I am seeking a new job. I look forward to being able to see the statistics of who is viewing my resume and so forth. Not only can I see that it is being viewed, but I can see exactly who is viewing it.

Very powerful. In the right hands, this could really do wonders. Of course, that is where that other required talent comes in. Once I get my Catapult resume promotion sequence set up, I will probably put a link on here so you can see it. Now, I just have to figure out what kind of media experience I want my users to have.

1 comment:

Stephen Nielson said...

Hey Will,

I enjoyed reading your blog. I'm sorry to hear that you're out of work. I thought perhaps you had moved to Fort Worth because you found employment? (Also shame on me referencing another blog post in a reply to a different one) Even more surprising reading your blog I found out you've been using Catapult! I'm sure you'll be able to use it in your search for employment especially since we've had other clients use it to their success. How did you hear about Catapult? Ryan? As you've been using the product is there anything that you have really liked, or disliked? Anyways I guess my early morning break is over and I should get back to work. Let me know if you have any questions about Catapult. I think I can answer them better than most :)

Stephen Nielson
Lead Catapult Developer.