March 11, 2010

Blog Rules

So, while contemplating starting a blog, I had decided that I wanted this blog to deliver short, succinct, thoughtful messages on a variety of topics which are seemingly constantly percolating in my brain. In doing so, I kind of came up with some rules to help me in this endeavor.

1. Entries must be short. They must fit on one normal sized emag page, kind of basing the length on the typical length of articles I usually read from places like InfoWorld.

2. They must be focused on a single topic. Often, my thought processes bridge huge gaps between subjects, which while being real connections, tend to being abstract in spades.

3. They must offer some kind of new or original contribution to the overall discussion of the topic. I know, this blog isn't part of any big blogging universe per se', but I eventually hope to have people read this and to participate, even in some small way in the global conversations always taking place.

4. They must not be emotionally driven. Emotion does not often lend itself to clear and easily communicated concepts. I can be just as emotional as the next person, but when I am, for some reason, I don't communicate as clearly and often get exactly the opposite response from what I am hoping for. Therefore, no emotional rants.

Ok, so those were my rules, with some addition rationale behind them. So, how have I done. Well, my first real post was Non Processes. So, lets see how I did. It wasn't short. Strike one. It meandered and jumped from one topic and back again. Strike Two. The must offer some kind of new or original contribution. Well, sort-of. It was there, but I would challenge anyone to pick it out. So, really, that one was a foul ball, but with 2 strikes, it doesn't count. Ok, Rule number 4. The must not be emotionally driven. Believe it or not, it was. I tried to make it not sound emotional, and even tried to convince myself it wasn't, but it was. Strike 3.

Since my first real post struck out, I would have to say, I am not off to a very good start. This post is getting pretty long already. If you see me breaking my rules, call me on it. My comments are always open to anyone, but I do moderate them, so, be professional or at least polite about it.

No comments: